by Ed Yourdon
Lack of exercises, over-consumption of junk-food, unhealthy lifestyle have all contributed to the layers of fat on our body. The slimmer and leaner bodies have become a thing of past. Most people are coping with the problem of obesity these days. Remembering the following simple guidelines and putting them into practice can lead to weight loss without the aid of any special diet plans, books, or medications.
1. If you cannot invest time for a leisurely morning walk or an evening stroll, take quick walks wherever possible. Park your car a few blocks away from the destination and then take a walk towards your destination. Even during lunch time, try to walk a few paces in your office.
2. if you like hamburgers, French fries, whipped cream, candy and similar things you will gain weight. A plan has to be made and followed! There is no reason to give up the things you like completely, but you must consume them in moderation. The best foods to help you lose weight are vegetables like asparagus, green beans and others. If you do not like broccoli, for example, then don’t eat it but substitute something that you like such as green peas.
3. Does your teen like to spend time at the mall? Teach them the art of window shopping – fast window shopping! Take your teen to the mall early in the morning and join the mall walkers. As you walk at a brisk pace, your teen can check out all the store windows. This can even serve as a fashion education for you, Mom or Dad!
4. Start by paying attention to what you eat. Cut back on fat and sweets and add more fruit and vegetables. After you have that under control, add exercise. If you hate to exercise try it for only 15 minutes a day at first, then a 1/2-hour. Keep in mind that while you are exercising you are burning calories and not eating. Also, it will be easier if you chose an activity that you enjoy.
5. Ditch an elevator whenever possible and make the use of good old staircase. Climbing stairs, helps to reduce excess flab, especially stomach fat. Climbing a four storied building twice or thrice a day is a good weight loss exercise.
6. Racquetball! Many physical activities help a person work off a bad mood, but racquetball allows your teen to pummel a bad mood! Teenagers are not lacking in emotional ups and downs. This ramped up tennis-like sport can really work off stress and calories at the same time. Check out your local parks and recreational facilities for free courts and go purchase a couple of cheap racquets and balls for you and your teen.
7. It is always good to have support when you are trying to lose weight. Find a friend who wants to lose weight and compare notes, weigh-in together and maybe even have a contest.